Extra (money & time saving) resources regarding accounting in Belgium
List of English speaking accountants in Belgium recommended by freelancers:
- Consider our friends at Accountable: an app meant as an admin/accounting one-stop-shop for freelancers. You have real-time visibility on your taxes and available cash; you can create and send invoices, capture and store expenses, and receive assistance when needed from experts.
- If you are doing anything around copyright, look at Creative Shelter (NL only).
- Payrolling might be an option if you don't want to do accounting at all. Then the payrolling company (e.g Tentoo) act as your employer and takes care of all the admin for you.
- Read the summary of how to pick an accountant below the list of accountants recommended in the Freelancers in Belgium group.
Here is a list of 15+ accountants recommended by members in the Facebook group Freelancers in Belgium
. They appear in order of location and alphabetical order. Click on the link for contact details. In and near Brussels: Abatis.eu
, Brussels Adviseo
, Brussels Fidelium.be
, Brussels Finantra
, Waterloo Fiscada
, Brussels Fiscalteam.be
, Brussels, Louvain-La-Neuve & Liège Fiskodata
, Groot-Bijgaarden & Geraardsbergen Fiskophil
, Brussels Ondernemingscoach Bvba
, Londerzeel Vdwacc bvba
, Ninove In and near Ghent: Eskofin
, Destelbergen Heidi Hemelsoet
, Ghent Judith Hoste
, Ghent Vadecas
, Ghent taXcellence
Mobile: 0474 36 64 41 Other locations (Flanders) Accm
, Heist-op-den-Berg Finfisco
, Zonhoven Verschaeren & Mertens
, Mechelen Tips for picking an accountant:
- Get recommendations from other freelancers in a similar situation/industry as you
- Book meetings with a couple of accountants before deciding
- See if it's someone who knows about taxes and "thinks along", not someone who is just booking expenses and handling VAT payments.
- Pick one who is easy to meet, usually someone who is based near where you live or work
- Pick one you trust. Someone who educates you and shows you why certain expenses were booked the way they were booked.
- Double check that they are modern = strive for paperless, uses digital tools like Yuki or Octopus and automation.
- Go for the smaller firms or a solo guy or girl, who doesn't need the money for overhead of a big company and who is flexible enough to make time to answer your questions and give advice properly.
- Remember that a good accountant pays itself back, hence no need to pick the cheapest one, pick the one best for your situation. Ask for detailed pricing information.
For these services: 4 x VAT return, 1x Annual tax return, Documenting invoices/expenses, and tax advice (one meeting a year and/or ongoing advice) the Freelancers in Belgium
Facebook group members states they pay anything in between 800 - 2500€ annually.
The costs depends on whether:
- it's a small, independent accountant or a large accountancy firm giving the service,
- if it's accounting for a small one-person business or a limited company,
- the amount of invoices and expenses to be processed,
- whether personal taxes are included or not